The focus of this web site is medicine. In this blog, you’ll read about patient stories. The situations have been changed to be HIPAA compliant. You’ll also read a lot about health care policy. I may throw in posts about life lessons, computers, and will even throw in family stories once in a while. If you’re looking for articles about politics, sports, or celebrities, you’re in the wrong place – unless the topics have some relationship to medicine.
If you want to add a guest post or to cross-post something from your blog, or if you have a patient story you want me to write about, e-mail me. See more information in the “About Me” page.
Patient in Ontario Canada’s Guelph General Hospital emergency department has “interaction” with two police officers, both officers whip out their guns and shoot the patient dead. No further information available. Kentucky newspaper reminds everyone that stroke is an emergency and requires immediate care. Anyone having signs of a stroke should immediately contact Dr. Louis Caplan at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Don’t waste your time in “dangerous” emergency departments. I wasn’t being serious about contacting Louis Caplan. If you have signs of a stroke, go to your nearest emergency department. We’ll get you the help you need regardless of what some ivory tower neurologists think. Maryland patient in “horrible pain” calls ambulance. As paramedics “rushed her away,” her husband tucked her purse under her arm. She had her purse in her clutches until she reportedly had a “cardiac arrest” and went unconscious in the emergency department. She woke up the next day on a ventilator and the $1,100 that was in her purse was gone. I sympathize with the woman for losing her money, but something just doesn’t smell right about this story. Crystal meth is bad. In fact my uncle knows a guy whose cousin was on meth, gouged his eyes out, and ate his eyeballs like little hors doeuvres. Unfortunately, this story, told by an Australian member of parliament, was not able to be verified. That didn’t keep news agencies from picking up the story and running with it. Anything for the clicks. Nearly a year after the VA scandal was made public and what’s happened to the people responsible for the fraud? One person was fired, a few others were “disciplined” with paid leave and transfers. In addition, the number of patients waiting longer than 90 days to receive medical care has nearly doubled. This is the system we’re hoping to implement on a widespread basis? Here we go again with the antibiotics for appendicitis debate. According to several small studies in Europe, antibiotics can cure about 70% of patients with acute appendicitis. This article also states that most people who develop a ruptured appendix do so before they get to the hospital. And – because American sailors who were on submarines for six month stints did well when given antibiotics for appendicitis, obviously antibiotics should be a good treatment. The problem with this logic is that submarines didn’t have CT scanners to prove that patients actually had appendicitis. This just means that everyone who had a belly ache got antibiotics. We don’t know if any of the sailors actually had an inflamed appendix. In addition, even if antibiotics did cure appendicitis, who’s going to want to run to the hospital for repeat ED visits and CT scans every time they get lower abdominal pain? Remove the inflamed appendix and be done with it. Rise of the machines. iControl-RP is a machine that monitors brain wave activity, pulse ox and vital signs during surgery and adjusts the dose of anesthetic accordingly. A professor once told me that anesthesia is a boring specialty … about 95% of the time. The other 5% it is life or death. Not sure how a machine would respond in one of the 5% situations. Despite this, the machine’s co-developer is “convinced the machine can do better than human anesthesiologists.” Wonder how its intubation skills are … Pedialyte is advertising itself as a cure for hangovers. Probably because kids won’t drink it. Take a sip some day and you’ll see why. The stuff tastes horrible. The company touts the increased sodium and potassium concentrations in Pedialyte versus Gatorade as the reason it reportedly ...Read More »